Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Day 20 2022

 




Singles Match

Ken Shamrock vs. Kazuo Takahshi 

Pancrase: Truth 1


Hey this is different. Which also means I’m way out of my element. I’ve been a pro wrestling since I was about 3 or 4. MMA, boxing…they just weren’t my thing. Nothing against either sport, I have just as much respect for what they do as wrestlers, but it just doesn’t hook me like wrestling did. But o try to mix these reviews as much as I can, so let’s see how bad I fuck this one up. 


At the time Pancrases rules forbade elbow, knee, closed fist strikes to the head as well as kicks and stomps fo the head while the opponent was on the ground. Each wrestlers has five automatic escapes but loses a point for each one and losses if they use all five. Getting too close to the ropes forces a small reset, and then from there it’s pretty standard stuff. You do lose a point however if you beat the 10 count cause that’s bitch shit in the eyes of Minoru Suzuki and Masakatsu Funaki I guess. 


Anyway the match. It’s definitely a match. The two use a more reserved approach mainly keeping their distance while occasionally throwing strikes and going in for grapples. Takashashis strikes seemingly have no effect on Shamrock while Shamrocks strikes constantly send Takahashi into retreat. This Shamrocks match to lose. He’s constantly connecting with more strikes and even catches Takashashi in a couple of Guillotine Chokes. He also gets carded for a nasty knee strike while Takahashi is grounded. Takahashi is able to re-join the fight but for a few seconds the lights were flashing. 


I didn’t hate this. Being used to pro wrestling, or I guess sports entertainment if you prefer, and Kung fu movies there was a few points where I was begging for some action. It’s very strategic in nature,and both men are clearly skilled so nothing but respect there. Maybe you’ll dig this but it’s not for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment